Wednesday 18 September 2019

Serging a Vented Seam

If you have a serger, you kinda want to use it everywhere!  You get such a neat, tidy seam, it's a shame not to be able to use it all the time.  Side seams with a vent had me stumped for a long time!  Sure you can stitch that seam with your sewing machine but I really want to have that seam finished with my serger!

Then Tami Meyer of Love Notions Patterns posted how to do it on Instagram!  Lightning bolts!  So that's how you do it!  So now I'm sharing it with you.

Straight stitch a couple of inches first

I took my pattern pieces to my sewing machine and straight stitched about 3 inches down to the stopping point in the vent.  Reverse a couple of stitches to secure the end of the stitching line.

Snip to the stitching line

Next I cut to the stitching line using the top of the vent as my guide.  Then I took it to my serger.

Serge the seam

Serge down the seam to near the bottom.  Fold the vent back so you don't catch it as you serge off the seam.  You can see in the above picture how I veered off, but the seam line is intact to the point.

Press the seam open

Steam press the seamline, with the seam going to the back side of your garment and the vents pressed open.

Now you're ready to hem.  I like to mitre my corners and show how on my post on the Game Day Jersey.  

If you have a coverstitch and would like to use that on your hem, here's a link to my blog post on coverstitching corners

No comments:

Post a Comment