Tuesday 4 February 2020

Free Zippers!

We recently purchased a new duvet cover, a couple of down pillows and pillow protectors in a big sale.  All of the items came in zippered bags.  I'm always on the hunt for zippers as they have so many uses and can be quite expensive to buy new!  I pick them up at the local thrift store very cheaply whenever I can find them and here were 4 zippers free for the taking!

Armed with my trusty seam ripper (made for me by hubby!) I proceeded to liberate them.  I thought it was going to be a lot of work, but the thread used to stitch them into the bags was pretty flimsy.  A few jabs with the seam ripper and they just pulled away!  The zippers were all stitched separately across the ends, but I also secured them with safety pins to remind myself that there weren't proper stoppers.
And at the end of 10 minutes' easy work, I had 7" and 14" zippers and a couple of 33" 2-way zippers to add to my collection.
The remainder of the bags went into our recycling.  I'm doing my bit for reuse/recycle and I get 4 zippers for future use - a good day's work!

Happy sewing!

1 comment:

  1. I have been reusing those zippered plastic bags, but I never thought about saving and reusing the zippers! Thanks for the idea. I have been enjoying reading through your blog today.

    ReplyDelete